What You Should Know Before Window Tinting
In the interest of full disclosure, there are a few things you need to know about window film for your home or business. Window film and the installation of the product are not a perfect process. There are limits and certain expectations you should know as you consider window film.
If any of the below bullet points in this document are unacceptable, window film may not be the best option for you.
Our fully trained staff installs window tinting to the International Window Film Association (IWFA) standards. Meridian Window Tint offers installation in Boise, Eagle, Meridian, Nampa, Star, Caldwell, Middleton, Kuna, Garden City, and the surrounding areas.
Summary Of IWFA Guidelines
Meridian Window Tint installs all window films per the installation guidelines of the International Window Film Association (IWFA). The guidelines were adopted in 1999 and have not changed since.
- Window film, once installed, WILL NOT have the same appearance as glass.
- Inspection of window film can be made shortly after installation, but it is generally best to judge quality 30 days after installing it. Things that look like defects usually resolve themselves in period.
- To judge quality, you must be a MINIMUM 6 feet away from the glass, viewing it under normal daylight conditions, through the glass (not at the glass) to the outside, and at a right angle.
- Up close, you may see dust, dirt particles, fibers, etc., beneath the installed film, especially at the corners and edges of the glass. While we do everything to mitigate this by cleaning and preparing the glass surface before installation, some debris will appear. If these blemishes do not impede your view to the outside from a minimum of 6 feet away from the glass, the installation will be deemed acceptable per IWFA standards.
- Dark films or highly reflective window films will show gaps and sightlines between the film and the frame.
UV and Fading
- Window film WILL NOT stop fading of your carpet, furniture, walls, etc.
- At best, window film will SLOW DOWN the process behind fading by eliminating up to 99% of the UV component contributing to fading.
- UV only makes up 40% of the cause of fading.
- The other 60% behind fading includes heat, natural light, and other environmental components.
Safety and Security Film
- Safety and security film WILL NOT keep the glass from breaking.
- Safety and security film WILL NOT stop an intruder from entering your property.
- Meridian Window Tint IS NOT responsible for loss of property, personal injury, or loss of life after installing safety and security film.
- There is generally a 3% variance in the degree of darkness between a window film sample and installed window film. For example, a dark window film sample will look 3% lighter after the actual film is installed.
- 3M window film has a limited lifetime warranty for residential window film. For as long as you own the home, the film has a warranty against peeling, discoloration, delamination, etc. Contact Meridian Window Tint first if you believe there is an issue with the film installed at your property.
- Commercial installations of 3M window film range from 5-10 years.
Download PDF Version Here
- If you intend to work with Meridian Window Tint, we require a 35% NON-REFUNDABLE deposit on all work orders of $500 or more.
- Your deposit will: Reserve a date and time on our schedule for installation, ensure qualified staff will be available for your installation, and reserve or order your selected window film.