A window breaking can be frightening. The sound of glass shattering resonates with us and reminds us how easily items that we own can be broken. In most cases, glass shattering has a clear cause; a baseball crashes through a window, or a window is slammed shut too hard and breaks. However, glass can also break for other reasons that are not so obvious, and, although it is rare, sometimes a window with a window film installed can break as well. This guide will talk about why window panes break, what happens when a window with window film breaks, and how we can help.
What can cause a window to crack?
There are five basic reasons why a window might break, including:
- Thermal Stress: If a window absorbs enough solar radiation, it can become warped and break.
- Tensile Stress: The weight of the glass itself proves too great for the way its constructed, and it cracks.
- Mechanical Flexing Stress: The wind slowly moves the glass inside the pane sometimes; this can cause it to snap.
- Impact Stress: This is when something, like a baseball, strikes the window.
- Twisting Stress: The stress of being used as a building material can cause the glass to give way.
What happens when a window with window film breaks?
Window film can cause a build-up of thermal stress in your glass which can be worsened by many factors, including blinds or irregular outside shading; so, what happens when a window breaks due to thermal stress or seal failure? It is covered under the 3M Standard Warranty.
- Thermal Fracture: 3M stands by their product, and if it is determined that a window with 3M window film installed cracks due to thermal stress at any time throughout the window manufacturer's warranty period, they will pay for a replacement.
- Window Seal Failure: The 3M standard warranty regarding window replacement coverage is contingent upon if the window has an existing manufacturer warranty. Windows no longer under warranty will not receive thermal fracture or window seal failure coverage. Only the warranty on the film product will apply. Window film should not cause any window seal failures, and 3M believes this so strongly that they offer a 40-month warranty on any window seal failures.
How we can help
Meridian Window Tint believes strongly in its product, and if a window breaks due to thermal stress, they will assist in getting the widow and the window film replaced. If the warranty from 3M doesn't cover the entire replacement, Meridian Window Tint will pay for the rest. We are fully insured and take care of everything, so you don't have to. Window film will rarely cause these types of problems, but we are in your corner, and we will take care of everything if it does. If you have any questions about window film or thermal stress, contact meridian window tint for more information.